Can you believe Elephant Hill is turning 10 this month?! We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers, whether you purchased wine from us, dine with us for a special occasion or been in for a tasting. In this very special time of the year, we want to share 10 fun facts of Elephant Hill which we get asked quite often. Let's see if you know all of them!
1. Where does the name 'Elephant Hill' come from? Our founder Roger Weiss was inspired by the elephants while travelling with Reydan in Myanmar and he decided to name the winery and restaurant Elephant Hill.
2. Do you have a sweet wine? Yes, we do! It's called Rania. Roger and Reydan named the sweet wine after their daughter's name: Rania - because a sweet wine deserves a sweet girl's name! We released the first vintage of this sweet wine for Rania's 25th birthday in 2009.
3. Why is the winery building in teal colour? It resembles the colour of the sky and the Pacific Ocean on a sunny afternoon.
4. How old is Maggie the winery dog? 3
5. How many permeant staff? We started off with only 6 staff in 2008 but we currently have approximately 40 staff.
6. How many staff have been here since 2008? 6
7. What does Airavata mean? The name stems from the mythological white elephant who carries the Hindu god Indra, also called "elephant of the clouds" or "the fighting elephant"
8. Has anyone ever jumped in the green pool next to the restaurant? Yes, a few years ago. Sorry, it's NOT a swimming pool!
9. Which wine is the top-seller? Syrah!
10. How much does Elephant Hill produce? Around 20,000- 22,000 cases per year.